With rising home prices that boost home equity, many homeowners are opting to remodel rather than move. But any savvy homeowner knows that renovation without an eye on return on investment isn't a smart move. So stick with remodeling projects that will
really increase the value of your home. Here are five top home-design trends.
1. An open floor plan: Forty-six
percent of today’s buyers, regardless of generation, want an open floor plan, according to Trulia. You don't have to add space to get the open concept going though. Call a contractor to see how your existing floor plan can be opened up.
2. Update the bathroom: The National
Association of Home Builders (NAHB) said this is the most popular trend, and the ROI is up to 58%. Strong design trends include a walk-in shower and bigger tiles on the walls and floors.
3. More purposeful kitchen storage: The NAHB says that this is the second most popular renovation project of the years.
Think more and deeper drawer banks, and adding a kitchen island and pantries. The ROI is about 67 percent.
4. Specialize a room or area: Entryways are transformed into mudrooms and basements are being converted into man caves
and playrooms. Even a sunny niche can be turned into a useful reading nook.
5. Embrace hardwood flooring: Homebuyers definitely want hardwoods and they'll pay for it. The ROI for new hardwood flooring
is more than 90 percent, and it's 100 percent for refinishing existing wood floors.